Beginners' Yoga Courses
Have you been thinking about trying yoga?
Come and get started with Balance Yoga's Beginner's Yoga Course. Sarah MacDonald is a highly experienced teacher and will guide you step by step in learning yoga from the very beginning. You'll be in expert hands in a friendly, supportive environment.
Next course will be term 4 (October) 2018
The Beginner's Yoga course is taking a break in term three and will be back in term four.
If you are interested in attending a Beginner level class, please let me know by emailing me through the Contact Us page. It is likely that an open attendance Beginner level class will be running during August and September. Stay tuned for details, or ask to join my mailing list.
This workshop style course introduces you to all the basics of yoga, including:
- developing body awareness
- working with the breath
- the most common yoga poses - standing poses, Sun Salutations, seated poses, relaxation
- modifying poses for your personal needs
- basic yoga philosophy
- incorporating yoga into daily life
Beginner's Yoga Course FAQs
What sort of yoga do you teach?
The style of yoga this course mainly focuses on is known as Vinyasa Flow Yoga (or just 'flow' yoga). As the name suggests, Flow Yoga comprises movement, as one pose 'flows' to the next, linking movement with breath. This creates a continuous yoga workout that both stretches and strengthens the body and focuses the mind. Of course, we don't launch straight into flowing in this course - we take our time to learn the poses well first of all and then how to 'flow'.
Who is the course suitable for?
- This course is designed for people who are completely new to yoga. However, those with some yoga experience will also benefit from the detailed information given about exactly how and why we do poses the way we do, and will gain broader knowledge about 'what yoga is' and how it can be incorporated into daily life. These are aspects that are not often covered in detail in regular yoga classes.
- Student ages range from teenagers to those in their 70s.
- The only physical prerequisite is that you are 'generally' able to move with ease - i.e. can go from standing to sitting on the floor and standing again with no problems.
- There is NO need to be 'flexible' before you start (that comes with practice). (If anyone who considered themselves 'not flexible enough' to try yoga never gave it a go, our classes would be half empty!)
When & where are beginner's courses held?
- Course dates align with the four terms of the school year.
- The venue is the St Andrew's church hall (big white church by new roundabout).
How do I book?
- You can download an enrolment form from this page.
- To secure your place you need to complete the form, email to us, and make full payment in advance. Your place will only be confirmed once payment is received.
- Book early to avoid disappointment. Places on the course are limited, and it has sold out in advance every term for the past three years.
- If you still have questions please contact us, and we can help, or email an enrolment form to you.